Thinking Ahead on Employment, Student, Privacy, Title IX, and FERPA Issues Unique to Colleges and Universities
Rubin Fortunato represents both public and private universities and colleges of all sizes on issues unique to institutions of higher education. Every matter, from a litigation claim to policy drafting, along with potential solutions, are examined and strategized in the context of the institution’s mission.
Universities and colleges face challenges related to federal statutes, like Title IX and FERPA, as well as on faculty tenure and peer review matters, contract claims, student assault and harassment claims, and civil rights claims. Our lawyers defend these claims in federal and state courts as well as before the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR). They also advise on, and draft policies and programs that comply with, Title IX and FERPA.
For institutions without university counsel, we have experience stepping in and providing legal support and solutions that align with the institution’s mission and preserve its reputation.
We Know the Law
- Employment discrimination, wrongful termination, and whistleblower claims
- Student discrimination and disability accommodation claims
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) issues and student privacy
- Student and Faculty Due Process and Section 1983 claims
- Title IX discrimination and retaliation claims
- Title IX investigations
- Drafting, and advising universities and colleges on, Title IX policies and procedures
- Employment contract claims, including the right to, or denial of, tenure
- Defamation and First Amendment claims
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)