Kathy Laubenstein concentrates her practice on matters concerning restrictive covenants, trade secrets, and employment agreements. She is equally adept at protecting an employer’s good will and proprietary information as she is at defending individuals and companies accused of improperly taking another company’s assets.
Kathy also represents clients in litigation, arbitration, and administrative matters involving claims of discrimination or retaliation, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference with contractual relationships, and similar claims. In each matter, she balances effective legal strategy with the client’s business realities to ensure each client gets the best possible result.
In her counseling role, Kathy drafts and revises handbooks and policy manuals, employment agreements, confidentiality agreements, commission and compensation plans, and separation agreements. She has advised employers on issues ranging from compliance with wage and hour regulations to proper implementation of progressive discipline for employees. With regard to individuals, Kathy regularly negotiates employment agreements, transition agreements, and severance packages for professionals, executives, and other highly compensated employees.
Before entering private practice, Kathy had the invaluable opportunity to clerk for the Honorable Max Rosenn of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
- “Don’t Go Away Mad, Just Go Away (and Be Quiet): Enforcing Confidentiality Agreements,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s Employment Law Institute 2018, co-presenter and co-author of written materials
- “The Joint Defense Privilege: The Ins and Outs of Protecting Attorney-Client Communications Among Multiple Parties and Their Lawyers,” American Bar Association’s Commercial and Business Litigation Committee, co-presenter (2018)
- “Defend Trade Secrets Act of 2016: Important Take-Aways About Employees Who Take Away,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute 23rd Annual Employment Law Institute, co-presenter and co-author of written materials (2017)
- “ReGeneration: Motivating and Managing a Multi-Generational Workforce,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute 21st Annual Employment Law Institute, co-presenter (2015)
- “Don’t Take A Stand: How to Conduct an Effective and Ethical Investigation Without Becoming a Witness,” Delaware Valley Association of Corporate Counsel (2013)
Experience drafting employee handbooks, policies, compensation plans, and other personnel documents.
Extensive experience in drafting, negotiating, and analyzing employment agreements, executive compensation agreements, and severance packages.